A residential precinct in Camperdown was cordoned off and evacuated on Wednesday after a gas pipe was ruptured.
Senior Constable Shannon Kavenagh said the gas leak occurred at a Paton Street address.
“Electrical contractors were installing cables in a trench when the digger they were using hit the gas pipe,” she said.
“They called for assistance immediately.”
Snr Const Kavenagh said the incident occurred at about 1.40pm.
Camperdown and Cobden police, Camperdown CFA and Corangamite Shire workers all attended the scene.
“As a precaution all residents in the immediate vicinity of the gas leak were evacuated from their homes,” Snr Const Kavenagh said.
“Residents of the Cole Street flats were also evacuated as were clients attending the David Newman Adult Day Centre.
“Road blocks were also put into place on Church and Cole streets.”
The distinct smell of gas wafted in an easterly direction.
Snr Const Kavenagh said the noise of the escaping gas could be heard from the Camperdown Police Station.
“There was a definite audible hissing sound of the gas escaping that was quite loud,” she said.
“It appears the ruptured pipe was a main feeder line for the street.”
Evacuated residents were temporarily accommodated at the police station and then relocated to the Killara Centre.
“The residents were all happy to comply with our requests and were obviously concerned about their properties,” Snr Const Kavenagh said.
“I can’t speak highly enough of the teamwork put in place to manage the scene.
“The police, CFA and Corangamite Shire all responded immediately and were very efficient in their work.”
Gas supply experts attended the incident and crimped the ruptured pipeline and then worked to repair the problem.
The incident was cleared at 3.10pm at which time the roads were reopened and residents allowed to return to their homes.